Fizz and Fade

champagne fizz and faded blue jeans

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Venice Beach



We spent two nights in Venice to start off our long weekend in California. I had only been to Venice once before and it was just for the day, so I was excited to spend a little more time in the neighborhood. It also is close enough to Santa Monica that we could spend some time there as well.

Being in California, the first thing I noticed that was different than New York City were all the blooming flowers around. Since the warm weather has not been around too long in NYC we haven't had too much green pop up yet. But Venice was full of color and amazing floral smells wafting through the air just walking down the street. I especially loved how the bright red flowers in the image above popped against the white wall and wooden door. 


 We got in late Wednesday night, so our trip really started on Thursday morning. And no good morning starts without a good breakfast. A quick Yelp search led us to Flake. Known for it's laidback California vibe and a delicious croissant sandwich the Cro-Jo, it seemed right up our alley. Julie followed all the reviews and went for the Cro-Jo (see sandwich at back of photo) while I stuck to a breakfast burrito (when in Cali, right?).

The weather was warm but since there were a lot of clouds it was a little chilly without the sunshine. I threw on this oversized cardigan I recently got from Loft that I have been wearing a ton lately. It's a perfect casual layer and super comfortable. Also, look at those fuchsia flowers!I haven't any like that in New York.

Our rides for the day!
After biking as far as we could up the boardwalk, we headed into downtown Santa Monica for lunch. We checked out Ashland Hill, a restaurant and beer garden I had read about recently and marked on my 'places to visit' list. Since it was the middle of the day during the week, we had no problems getting a table outside. And let me tell you, the food was awesome. Julie went for the fish tacos (top) while I went for the coconut curry rice bowl with chicken (bottom). After trying our dishes and seeing the rest of the menu, I am convinced there is not a bad thing to order here.

Strolling along the Santa Monica pier is an experience in and of itself. With kitchy things to buy, tourists with selfie sticks and some classic carnival rides whats not to love? Definitely brings back some childhood memories. We even got to see a seal swimming around in the water below the end of the pier, unfortunately I didn't a snap of him.

At the risk of sounding like a total wannabe, I really want to try Bulletproof Coffee while out in LA. After having read about it and seen celebrities and social media influencers touting it I had to see what's up with butter in my coffee for myself. If you aren't familiar with Bulletproof Coffee, it is a "blended coffee drink comprised of upgraded coffee, grass-fed unsalted butter and brain octane oil", that is supposed to provide mind clarity, improved brain functioning and help you lose weight. Sounds good right? 

We were cruising right by the original location in Santa Monica so we stopped in to try a cup. Not only was it pretty darn tasty, the guy behind the counter was so excited we were trying it for the first time he gave us our coffees on the house. I have read about people making this at home, and I'll admit I am tempted to give it a try. If nothing else it will enable me to go to California in mind...

Anyone tried in before? What do you think of Bulletproof Coffee?

Walking down Abbot Kinney we passed this adorable outdoor 'creative oasis'. I would have loved to stop and read a book with a coffee in this serene little alcove. Maybe next time!
For dinner on our second night (which just happened to be Cinco de Mayo) we went to James' Beach which is apparently famous for it's tacos in "I Love You, Man" (never saw that movie). It was too dark to snap any good pictures inside but it is a great casual beach vibe if you are ever in Venice and looking for some Mexican food. I got the pork tacos while Julie went for the fried chicken, both great and washed it down with some margaritas. After checking out Townhouse for a drink, we made our way back to our Airbnb, but of course I had to snap a photo of the Venice sign on the way.

Next stop, West Hollywood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pin It

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-74952811-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');