Fizz and Fade

champagne fizz and faded blue jeans

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Stealthy Style : Camel Coat

Way back in the day there was a show on the Style channel called ‘The Look For Less’. The show featured a runway look that was re-created on a very limited budget. I loved, loved this show and someday I have a dream of re-lauching it with myself as the host! But until that day comes, I will continue to hone my look for less skills. After many, many years of shopping I have learned what items are best to splurge on and when you can find an amazing steal that looks way more expensive than it is. I am such a fan of the cheap thrills and wear them so frequently that I often get asked where I got an article of clothing and my response is an enthusiastic “Old Navy!” or “Forever 21!” often met with a comment like “I can never find good stuff when I go there”. To give my assistance, I am introducing the first installment of Stealthy Style, where I will feature a current look I am craving and where to snag similar items that easily fit into a limited budget. I am also including my top 5 tips for shopping at discount stores at the bottom of the post, so be sure to read through!

Let me know if there are certain looks your interested in getting for less, I’d love to hear from you!



I love the simplicity of this look, the colors are neutral yet impactful. I would wear this to work on a casual Friday and easily swap out the heels for ankle booties for brunch or a casual dinner out. The best part of this outfit is how versatile every piece is and can be worn with many items you already own. I'm a basics lover and this outfit has key basic elements you will be able to wear again and again.

shirt // Old Navy (alternative option : Madewell)
jeans // Urban Outfitters (alternative option : Old Navy // Cheap Monday)
coat // Forever 21 (alternative option : Forever 21)
shoes // Sam Edelman (alternative option : Sam Edelman - on sale!)
bag // Halogen (alternative option :  Halogenx2)
hat // Forever 21 (alternative option : Asos // Old Navy)



1. Shop Online - My secret to finding good things from Forever 21? Avoid the store! Every time I go into a Forever 21, H&M or similar discount store I get so overwhelmed by the overflowing racks and hoards of people that I just give up and leave. My trick is shopping on their websites- you can take your time, read reviews and see every piece they have rather than digging through crowded racks. I get 99% of my discount clothing online, so this is a big wardrobe-helping tip.

2. Fake Leather is never good - Its rare that I have found faux leather items that looked luxe. Save your money and get the real deal. Squeaky shoes are not chic.

3. Invest in bags and shoes - This goes along with the last tip; leather does not look expensive when its fake. Period. Bags (unless made of cloth) and shoes are worth investing a little more rather than getting at a discount store. They will look more expensive and be more comfortable too.

4. Patterns can look cheap or expensive - Some classic patterns you can get anywhere and you will never be able to tell how much it cost such as stripes, plaids and gingham. Other patterns like paisley, houndstooth and florals can easily swing cheap-looking. To be on the safe side stick to the classic patterns when shopping at discount stores.

5. Tailor it! If you find the perfect item at a discount store but theres something similar that needs tweaking take it to your tailor! Hemming is the easiest fix, for pants, dresses, skirts, I even got a Forever 21 winter coat tailored a few seasons ago. Since you’re saving on the original cost its worth it to invest in fit to make it look truly luxe. 




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pin It

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-74952811-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');