Fizz and Fade

champagne fizz and faded blue jeans

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

How To Wear It : The Long Cardigan

Outfit Details:


Cardigans are nothing new. We've seen them worn by everyone from Mister Rogers to Britney Spears. And as far as styles go, cardigan options are as varied as the personalities of those wearing them - cropped, chunky, fitted, oversize...

Lately, I had been seeing the extra long cardigan pop up and to be honest, entirely brushed them off assuming I could never, ever wear one (ah, the short-girl curse). However, last week when I was at Gap's Styld By event featuring Julia Engal of Gal Meets Glam (check out my post about it here), I noticed one of the Gap employees at the event wearing this long cardigan. She had styled it with boyfriend jeans, a chambray tank and a pair of killer heels. I knew then and there I needed to get my hands on that cardigan (and the chambray tank, just for good measure).


Once I took the cardigan home, I began thinking about how I could make this style work for someone, like myself, who does not have a tall frame. What are the key things in a outfit that will enable a petite female to wear this silhouette without looking like a child in her mom’s sweater? 


Tip #1 - Select a Style With a Thinner Fabric
This is a silhouette with a lot of surface area which means you don’t want a lot of bulk as well. Stick to thinner fabrics that will move and still hint at your shape beneath. Anything overly bulky will look too much like a winter bathrobe.

Tip #2 - Stick To Minimal Accessories
Let the cardigan be the standout piece by keeping the rest of your look simple and easy. I opted for just some simple gold jewelry.

Tip #3 - Pair With Neutrals to Avoid Trend Overdose
This goes along with sticking to minimal accessories - keep the rest of your color and fabric palate neutral to avoid looking like a mannequin advertising too many trends.

Tip #4 - Keep Your Bottoms Fitted
I mentioned above how the Gap employee was wearing this cardigan with boyfriend jeans, and I must say it looked great. That said, to get the most slimming look you really want to keep this style paired with fitted pants like these or these. This will help to define your lower-half and also elongate the legs even more.

Tip #5 - Wear Some Heels
Nothing will help elongate you and make you appear taller than wearing heels, hands down. I opted for my pair of cheetah print pumps to add some color and texture to the look. A pair of heeled sandals like these or these these would look great as we transition into springtime.




Would you wear a long cardigan? Get your hands on your own by shopping some of the options below!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pin It

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-74952811-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');