Fizz and Fade

champagne fizz and faded blue jeans

Monday, June 6, 2016

Shopping For : Denim Jackets



A jean jacket rides the line between classic and trendy. Every couple seasons you see them pop up with a new type of wash, color, distressing or embellishment. But a simple jean jacket can truly be a closet staple, that can work year after year. The catch however, is finding the right denim jacket. It is a deceptively tricky garment to buy and style. It also doesn't help that I am extremely picky about the fit of my denim jackets. I have gotten some questions and comments from friends about where to find a good jean jacket, so I thought this would be a useful post for many of you!
Let me first step back and address what a 'good' jean jacket is, in my opinion.




The Keys to Finding a Good Denim Jacket
Fit -  Maybe the most important factor to me in finding a jean jacket. This is a stiff and bulky fabric, so if it doesn't fit right it is going to look like a major fashion flop. To keep from looking like you're headed to an 80's party, go for a more cropped and tailored denim jacket. The oversized look is dated and anything too big and boxy is unflattering. A cropped style that hits above the top of your jeans works well with dresses and skirts and is more slimming than a longer style. Sleeves should be easily rolled up for a casual carefree look.

Wash - I prefer denim jackets that have a lighter color and a little wear so that it looks like it has been loved for a few years, not fresh off the rack. Some light distressing helps add to the nonchalance of the look, but it is a fine line between some casual wear and overly destroyed so watch out for anything that looks too styled or overly treated.

Brand - Don't think about the brand! I have two denim jackets that I love, one I got at Old Navy and the other I got from Forever 21. So don't get hung up on where the jacket is from, as this is one of those pieces that no one can tell the price as long as it fits well and the wash is good. There are plenty of nicer quality options you can find, a few from Shopbop I included below, but my tip is to be on the lookout for a more affordable option. No one will know the difference and your wallet will thank you.

So now you just need a jacket! Check out my picks below for some of my favorites.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pin It

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-74952811-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');