Fizz and Fade

champagne fizz and faded blue jeans

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Shopping For : Swimsuits

Being at the beach this past week for Memorial Day has me thinking about attire and accessories for the summer months ahead. Whether heading to a pool, beach or boat, a whole different set of items is needed in your closet for summer water occasions. 

While swimwear can be found at a range of qualities and prices, I prefer to stick to nicer options and view them as investment pieces. If I am going to be essentially naked in broad daylight...in front of a bunch of people, I want to feel confident in what I am wearing. With a nicer quality swimsuit I feel more secure and confident in the quality holding up to the elements, whether that means not becoming sheer or stretching out when wet. If you take care of your bathing suits they really can last for years. You can find affordable options but these tend to stretch out, fade and fall apart faster. By the time you buy a new one every year you might as well have bought a higher quality suit to begin with. Suddenly a $200 swimsuit that you can wear over 3 years and it doesn't seem so bad!

When it comes to style of swimsuits, I usually opt for bikinis, often strapless. However, this season I found a bunch of strap versions that I really like. I particularly like the wrap-around tops, like this option from L*Space. I've also seen the super-sweet scalloped edge styles popping up a lot this year. Marysia has a ton of adorable options, like one or this one. While they aren't cheap, they are simple and classic - wearable for seasons to come.

Once you have your suit, you need a great cover-up to bring it all together. I say invest in a nicer option that, once again, will last you a few seasons. But also consider a cover-up that doubles as a dress for hot summer nights. A piece that can play double-duty makes a higher price point easier to swallow. If being able to wear your cover-up beyond the pool is important to you, make sure you pick one that is not totally sheer or will work with a lightweight camisole dress underneath. 

For beach bags, I love a stiff option that holds it shape. Being able to easily reach in for a book or sunscreen means less digging around and less sand inside the bag. I love the Mar y Sol bags, like this one, or this one. I also still love the classic L.L. Bean totes - they come in every color under the sun and can be monogrammed with your name or initials. A little preppy but sure to be classic chic years down the road.

Check out some of my top picks below for warm weather clothing and accessories!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pin It

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-74952811-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');