Fizz and Fade

champagne fizz and faded blue jeans

Monday, July 11, 2016

Summer Workwear


Dressing for work in the summertime is tough. You need something that will be breezy in the sticky, hot air outside but will also keep you warm in the frigid temperatures inside the office. Every workday morning in NYC I hike to the subway (usually at a fairly fast clip, since I am a 'New Yorker' now) and arrive on the platform where I am met with stale, thick air. All that heat I generated speed-walking increases exponentially in the subway. Before I know it I'm sweating...in my nice work clothes. Then I get to work and the AC is so high it feels like wintertime. I need a jacket or sweater to keep warm at my desk! The struggle couldn't be more real.

In the summer I am on the hunt for work items that are easily layered and can transition from hot streets to cold meeting rooms. Sometimes though what I really need is not a new outfit but some fresh inspiration for how to wear the pieces I already own. I decided to combine those two needs into this post - some new pieces that you can add to your wardrobe and some new ideas for how to wear what you have. And most of all, outfits that will keep you warm and/or cool this summer for work.

source

Culottes :  Culottes are big this summer and they make for a perfect work pant. If you love a good cropped trouser for work, consider this your summer fling. An ivory pair can work with just about everything in your wardrobe and a looks of-the-moment chic. I like how the striped tee in the above outfit adds a nautical vibe but these pants would also look great with a simple shell top and blazer.

source

Patterned Blazer : Blazers are a classic work staple, so why abandon them now? I love the idea of bringing a patterned option into the mix that looks summery yet retains a business-casual feel. What I especially love in the outfit above is how the white ground of the printed blazer blends right in with the all-white tee and jeans. A patterned blazer like this would also look great with a simple black dress and your favorite pair of black pumps.

 source

Printed Midi Skirt : It's light, it's breezy and it can be easily dressed up or down - the midi skirt is a classic shape and perfect for summer days. I love the look of the simple back tank on top in the above image. Throw a cardigan or jacket on for the office then whip it off for happy hour.

 source

Blazer Vest : This is a pretty fashion-forward look, but if you get it right the sleeveless blazer is amazing. I love how it is paired with neutral pieces in this photo, creating a look that is business and chic at the same time. A blazer vest would also look great over a midi-length dress. Why not try it, take a risk!

 source

Ivory Blazer : I wrote about them here and I am still into these bad boys. Even though the silhouette is identical to your classic black blazer, white in the summer just looks more sophisticated, stylish and literally cooler.


 source

Summery Dress + Jacket : It doesn't get much easier than a breezy dress in summertime. I love to throw a black blazer on top of a nice sundress dress and consider it 'business casual'. Try adding a colorful jacket like in the outfit above to an ivory or black dress for a summery look that is also tailored and professional.

Looking for some more work outfit inspiration this summer? J.Crew has some great ideas for swapping out your commute pieces for office pieces here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pin It

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-74952811-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');